This challenge has ended -- come take part in the current Genomelink Hackathon!
GENOME LINK API is a developer-friendly tool designed to help you integrate user's DNA information into your app effortlessly -- without advanced requirements like genomics expertise and how to securely handle raw DNA data.
The current price tag on sequencing the whole human genome is $1000 -- down from $3B in 2000. And it's projected to drop to just $100 in a few years. It'll be easier than ever to take a peek into your own genes. Genetic information will be more accessible than ever , but what can we do with this new wealth of insight? How can personalized services based on our genetic information help improve our health, lifestyle, and learning experience?
Genomics and intepreting genome data used to be stuff of scientists. But with the rapid rise of sequencing technology and APIs like GENOME LINK API, the opportunity to contribute to this exciting field has become wide open for developers. Our previous in-person hackathons in Tokyo and San Francisco have been a huge success. We created this online hackathon to invite the worldwide community of developers to take part in thinking up and building the next killer genomics app!
- Create apps that provide actionable insights based on users' genome data.
- Build tools to help users understand their DNA better.
Q: Who is Awakens?
- UC Berkeley SkyDeck and Illumina Accelerator -backed early stage genomic software startup based in Berkeley, California. We started as a weekend project in our hometown of Tokyo, Japan.
- We are a team of scientists, engineers, and businesspeople passionate about the potential of genomics -- especially whole genome data (as opposed to genotyped data) -- to reveal unprecendented amounts of physical, physiological, mental, and cognitive insights. These insights will help us 1. get to know ourselves and our identity better and 2. make better lifestyle decisions, big and small. We want to reshape the way each person interacts with their genome.
- Read about our team here.
The Hackathon IS open to:
- Individuals who are at least 18 years of age as of the time of entry ("Eligible Individuals")
- Teams of Eligible Individuals ("Teams")
- Teams of Eligible Individuals entering on behalf of Organizations (including corporations, not-for-profit corporations and other nonprofit organizations, limited liability companies, partnerships, and other legal entities) that exist and have been organized or incorporated at the time of entry ("Organizations")
Create a working software application that integrates GENOME LINK API. Your application may not use genetic insights to discriminate or otherwise harm users.
Include a short video demo demonstrating how the app works.
$10,000 in prizes
Submitting to this hackathon could earn you:
How to enter
1. Register for the GENOME LINK Challenge
2. Create your GENOME LINK Developer account
Resources can be found in the developer dashboard
3. Build a killer DNA-personalized app!
Fund Manager, Berkeley SkyDeck Fund
Senior Director, Strava
Community Manager, Awakens
Quality of idea
Creativity and originality
How well the developer leveraged the GENOME LINK API.
Can this idea be implemented in the real world? How will users interact with and gain information from your app?